Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tests, Tests, and More Tests

I haven't posted as of late because I've been going to medical appointments - many, many appointments. In addition to all those that are cancer-related, I've seen my rheumatologist, neurologist, dermatologist (who's writing a book about skin care during and after chemo), and I'm scheduled to see my pulmonologist. My dentist was the first health care professional I saw after I got my chemo start date.

Okay, back to this @#%$ cancer. I met with the radiation oncology to discuss treatment after chemo. He then sent me to have a breast MRI to make sure that the tumor wasn't multicentric (more than one originating tumor). The tumor taken from my right breast was multifocal - many tumors originating from one primary one. I had 6 tumors removed during a lumpectomy, the largest was 1.3 cm.

PET/CT scan was clear and my oncologist considers my status "no evidence of disease" (NED). Cool, right? Until she said, "But we need to discuss something." Oh boy just tell me doc. Well, my 2D echocardiogram was normal, at least for my heart. Those test results show "multiple liver masses." So I wanted to know of course if the cancer had spread and why didn't the ct scan done with contrast show abnormal liver or masses on the liver. Since the cancer hadn't spread to my lymph nodes and since I had no "hot spots" on the PET scan, Dr. Oncologist feels okay saying I'm NED, but admits that she is a bit baffled by the 2D echo results (she called the cardiologist to question his reading of the test). If there are masses on my liver, then Dr.Oncologist says that those may be benign. WHAT THE HELL???

My mother, bless her heart, is really stressed about this and I'm sure my dad is too. It just dawned on me that my family (parents and siblings) must really be as stressed as my husband is. By the way, Husband called my oncology surgeon to informed them that my breast pain is increasing (probably due to seroma per PET scan) and that I have another lump in the same breast, which I do. Hopefully, it's just the way that my breast is healing after surgery.

I have a breast MRI and liver MRI scheduled on Sunday the 17th. Upcoming appointments with oncology surgeon and to have a port placed in my arm are scheduled. My second opinion is scheduled with a comprehensive cancer center ranked 20 in the country per US News. And...so much is happening so quickly that my sleep is even worse than before so I've asked and received ant-anxiety medication. I will use the meds.

Until later...keep the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment