Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Whirlwind That Is My Life

As all of those who are diagnosed with cancer know that once you've been given the cancer diagnosis everything is just a blur and life starts moving really fast. While driving across the country to visit family, the doctor who did the core biopsy called me the day following the biopsy to tell me that I indeed had invasive ductal carcinoma. I'm in the middle of nowhere with my husband. We had just been singing very loudly and very off key to the sweet sounds of Motown. (I haven't listened to music since 9/9/10. I must change this.) Eight days later I was at a pre-op appointment and 5 days after pre-op I had right breast lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy (2 nodes were removed and both were clean.) 

Now I'm seeing the medical oncologist and getting pre-chemo testing. In 3 weeks chemo starts. Wow! So far I've talked with her everyday. My dad, who's retired, is coming out to be with me when I start chemo. I don't think he had a choice because my mom says he has to be her connection to me since she has to work. Some how I find this hilarious - because she's serious - and very comforting at the same time. I want my parents to make this cancer go away and never come back like they did when they made the monsters under my bed leave me alone - I'm not joking! My parents were out to visit and support me for about a week; now they're 2000 miles away. My mom promised to call me everyday even if only to say good morning or good night.

Once I've formulated a game plan, I WILL slow things down a lot and calm down. Each day is getting better for me emotionally. At least now I know that the doctors are really talking to me and about me. It's my diagnosis. Since it is I will do more than survive, I will conquer.

Photo info: uploaded from here

No comments:

Post a Comment